Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A different take on a fun dessert!




There have been quite a few times along my career path that I have poached items such as lemon peel and orange peel. I use them for garnish on many different dishes ranging from chicken dishes to pork dishes and especially desserts. In this video they take molecular gastronomy and take a sorbet and pipe it into the entire poached orange peel then slice it open and serve it on top of a really cool design of clementine puree and pumpkin seed puree. This video amazed me as it is fairly simple in it's individual processes but it takes a simple dessert such as orange sorbet to a completely new level. In my line of work half the battle with being noticed and different is to take a common dessert to a level otherwise not seen before to intrigue the patrons both in their sense of sight and taste. Normally a sorbet such as this might be served in a bowl, or a glass with some sauces and mint...but Jose shows us that it can be so much more than that. What I try to do in my own restaurant is to take otherwise normal food, usually breakfast items and change them into something a little different. This video has inspired me to recreate this dish in my own fashion as perhaps an addition to my dessert menu for dinner service.

No comments:

Post a Comment